I’ve been feeling cold a lot lately. I’ve transitioned from having my cold smoothies in the morning to making some warm oatmeal. Today I topped my steel cut almond milk oats with walnuts, flax, and banana. Lunch consists of a salad and some type of soup and dinners have consisted of squash, pumpkin or curry (to name a few). I really feel the need to eat warming foods. The past few days I’ve been waking up with a hoarse voice, which makes me think I’m fighting the head cold that everyone in the office has (booo). To help my body operate to it’s fullest I made up a big batch of one of my favorite meals: dal ❤
You will need:
2 tablespoons coconut oil
1 large onion
2 medium carrots
2 garlic cloves
1 inch piece of fresh ginger root
3 teaspoons curry powder (I love the simply organic brand)
1 teaspoon red pepper flakes (optional)
1 cup dried red lentils (rinsed, soak while chopping the above ingredients)
1 can coconut milk
1 cup vegetable broth
1 cup packed with kale or spinach
1 cup basmati or jasmine rice
1. Add the coconut oil and heat until melted: sauté the onions, garlic, and ginger for 5 minutes.
2. Stir in the carrots and cook for 3 more minutes. Add the curry powder, pepper and red pepper flakes, stir until fragrant.
3. Add the red lentils and stir to coat. Pour in the coconut milk and half the cup of vegetable broth. Bring to a simmer and then reduce heat to low.
4. Let simmer for about 20 mins until the carrots and lentils are soft. Stir occasionally to avoid the contents from sticking to the bottom. Add the rest of the vegetable broth if you desire a thinner consistency. Add the kale at the end to wilt.
5. Meanwhile, cook rice as directions on back states. Once cooked, season with salt, pepper and fresh lime juice.
6. Add a scoop of rice to your bowl, cover with dal. Top with cilantro, nut of your choice and a squeeze of lime.
To warming the soul,